What is PTE all about?
After establishing the fact that successfully clearing an English Proficiency Exam is compulsory to travel abroad for study and migration purposes, choosing the type of exam becomes the hurdle. The Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) is a computer-based English language test that is widely accepted at universities, colleges and governments all over the world and offers the fairest way to evaluate the candidate’s English skills. It is an Australian Government approved test that is valid in thousands of institutions in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, Ireland. The computerized grading system of PTE warrants better understanding of the candidate’s English language proficiency. The scoring of PTE is done from the scale of 10 to 90. The validity of this test is 2 years.
What does it test?
Similar to IELTS, this online test is divided into four sections: Speaking, Writing, Reading and Listening and the total duration of this test is 3 hours.
PTE Speaking and writing test: The duration of this test is 77 to 93 minutes. There are two sections of the speaking test where the first section is for the introduction of the candidate without any score. The second section contains read aloud, repeat sentences, describing the image, re-tell lecture and short answers to the topic. The questions in speaking section are mainly to test communication skills in an academic learning environment.
The writing test consists of two parts, first where you are required to provide the summary of a written text in one line for which you are given 10 minutes. And the second where you are asked to skilfully draft an essay of 200 to 300 words with the time duration of 20 minutes.
PTE Reading test: The duration of this test is 32 to 41 minutes. In this section, you are required to skim read the passage and write the answers in multiple choice. This section contains multiple choice, choose multiple answers, re-order paragraphs, and fill in the blanks. Through the various types of questions, this part of the tests assesses your coherence and understanding of the language at deeper level.
PTE Listening test: The duration of this test is 45-57 minutes. In this section, you will hear the recording and will be given 10 minutes to write the summary. This section also contains multiple choice, choose multiple answers, fill in the blanks, highlight correct summary, highlight incorrect words and write from dictation. This test grades you on the basis of your listening skills and understanding of accent.
What makes PTE unique?
- Unlike other English Proficiency Tests, PTE uses Artificial Intelligence to evaluate the tests instead of a human which ensures unbiased results making it fair, accurate, impartial and secure.
- Another thing that adds to its uniqueness is that the results are super-fast as they are available to candidates within just 48 hours of taking the test.
- Candidates can book the test as per their convenience as the test dates are flexible and are available for all year round.
- Various measures are taken for the security of the test making it secure.
- Students can send this result to as many universities as they want without any additional charges.